Jodi Arias Trial Update Today: The Jodi Arias sentencing trial reconvened in Maricopa County Superior Court after a long break taken for news organizations protesting a decision to let a defense witness testify in private.
and authorities were accused of destroying evidence on Alexander’s computer and lawyers for Jodi Arias accused authorities of destroying evidence on Alexander’s computer.
The Jodi Arias trial media ban was overturned by the Arizona Court of Appeals.
Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Sherry Stevens denied a request by the defense to delay the trial based on the allegations of the destruction of evidence.
The judge said she would take up the matter at a later date.
Prosecutor Juan Martinez said his office reanalyzed the computers this week, and found the claims to be false.
Martinez speculated that if anything was deleted from Travis Alexander’s computer, it was done by defense attorneys who had previously represented Jodi Arias.
“It confirmed that he had not accessed any of the (pornographic) sites that they’re claiming he accessed,” Martinez said.
Jodi Arias’ lawyer Kirk Nurmi explained that a “plethora of evidence” was being uncovered from the computer “as we speak.” The Arizona Court of Appeals ruled that the media will be allowed to covering Jodi Arias’ sentencing trial.
Judge Sherry Stephens had ordered cameras blocked from the hearings.That first defense witness did not take the stand and remains unidentified to the public.
Last Thursday, Judge Stephens ordered that media and public out Maricopa County Superior Court prior to testimony from a mystery witness.
AZ Central reported that a coalition of news outlets that included The Arizona Republic and 12 News, filed an appeal.
A three-judge panel overruled the decision on Monday.
Fox 10 Arizona reported that attorney David Bodney said “We have just heard the risk of being kept in perpetual confusion, and darkness looms in this case unless the court steps in and enforces the first amendment rights of the press and public.” Last month Jodi Arias claimed her ex-lover Travis Alexander wrote letters to her apologizing for an alleged incident where Jodi caught him looking at pictures of young boys and masturbating.
Prosecutor Juan Martinez said the letters were fake.
Arias’ head lawyer Kirk Nurmi said the prosecution’s “own [forensic] expert did not say those letters were forged,” according to AzCentral.com.
The first Jodi Arias trial ended with a conviction but not a sentence.
Jodi Arias’ murder conviction stands.
Under Arizona law, prosecutors have the option of pursuing a second penalty phase with a new jury to get the death sentence.
If the second jury fails to reach a verdict, the death penalty would be removed as an option.
The judge will then sentence Jodi Arias to life behind bars or be decide that she may be eligible for release after 25 years.
Jodi Arias admitted she killed Travis Alexander, but said she acted in self-defense because he was given to bouts of rage.
Prosecutors said the killing was premeditated and fueled by jealous rage after Alexander said he wanted to break up with Jodi Arias and go to Mexico with another woman.